Local pubs selling local beer
24 October 2011 by
There are six breweries located in or near Horsham but many pubs in the area are tied to Hall and Woodhouse and only sell their beers. So, I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of Horsham pubs that regularly sell locally-brewed real ales.
Of course, the beers on sale at any pub change from time to time but I'll try and update this article whenever I hear of changes or additions to the list
Firstly, these are the breweries located in the Horsham area. Some of these breweries make mostly bottled beers so I wouldn't expect to see many of their beers sold on hand pumps in pubs.
- Dark Star [Partridge Green]
- King Beer
- Kissingate [Lower Beeding]
- Surrey Hills Brewery [Dorking]
These pubs have beers from each brewery....
- Piries Bar in Horsham town centre sells Dark Star beers. It was Hophead when I was there.
- The Green Man in Partridge Green alternates between Dark Star and Harveys ales.
- The Partridge in Partridge Green is the 'brewery tap' for Dark Star.
- The Lamb Inn has Dark Star Hophead permanently on tap.
W J King
- The Foresters Arms in St Leonards Road has King's Horsham Best.
- The Queens Head in Barns Green, the Hen and Chicken, the Kings Head in Rudgwick, and the Lamb Inn sell King's beers.
- A bit further away but the Mucky Duck in Tisman's Common also has King and Co beers.
- The Malt Shovel in Horsham has award-winning Kings Old Ale and a Red River on tap.
- The White Horse at Maplehurst, the Royal Oak near Rusper and the Surrey Oaks are well known for their great choice of beers and there's usually at least one locally-brewed ale, for example Surrey Hills beers.
- The Sussex Oak in Warnham has Surrey Hills Ranmore bitter and at least one other locally brewed ale. The pub is featured in the 2012 Good Beer Guide for supporting local brewers.
Kissingate's beers are found in a number of pubs although they tend to be guest ales; quite a few of the pubs are in the Horsham area.
- Piries Bar in Horsham town centre sells Hepworths Conqueror Sussex Stout and Hepworths Blonde organic lager.
- The Lamb Inn sells Hepworths Conqueror Sussex Stout and its "Laage" lager.
Other local ale pubs
- The Greets Inn has local guest ales at weekends.
- The Countryman Inn and the Chequers have local ales.
I will update this list whenever I hear of other pubs selling local ales but the above are also subject to change. The best idea is to visit the pubs and see what they have!